Wednesday, April 7, 2010

dancing with myself

i have been thinking a lot about this whole "stronger relationship with myself" thing and i feel like i didn't totally nail the resolutions. you see, this was a topic suggested to me by someone else so i have been having a hard time getting my head around it. but looking back on yesterday's post about my relationship with my partner, this morning i had an epiphany. building a stronger relationship with myself (which i now realize is pretty much the point of this blog) requires basically the same things any relationship needs, they're just directed inward.

a day of pampering is all well and good, but it doesn't really build the relationship. it just makes me feel better in the short term. and writing about it all means nothing without concrete actions. what really counts are pretty much the same things i listed in my partner resolutions:

- be nicer to / gentler with myself
- make the extra effort to take care of myself
- make time for the things that matter to me
- be more available for my own needs (not just those of others)

 yeah, i may still hit the spa for a few hours or take myself out to dinner as a show of good faith, but it's really the little things that make the difference, both with others and for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment